Current:Home > MarketsUN sets December deadline for its peacekeepers in Congo to completely withdraw -VisionFunds
UN sets December deadline for its peacekeepers in Congo to completely withdraw
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:03:40
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — The U.N. peacekeeping mission in Congo, which helped in the fight against rebels for more than two decades before being asked by the Congolese government to leave, will complete its withdrawal from the Central African nation by the end of 2024, the mission said Saturday.
A three-phased withdrawal of the 15,000-force will begin in the South Kivu province where at least 2,000 security personnel will leave by the end of April in the first phase, according to Bintou Keita, head of the mission known as MONUSCO, after which forces in the North Kivu and Ituri provinces will also leave.
“After 25 years of presence, MONUSCO will definitively leave the DRC no later than the end of 2024,” Keita said at a media briefing in the Congolese capital of Kinshasa. The end of the mission will not be “the end of the United Nations” in the country, she added.
The U.N. and Congolese officials worked together to produce a disengagement plan for “a progressive, responsible, honorable and exemplary withdrawal of MONUSCO,” Congolese Foreign Minister Christophe Lutundula said. Modalities have also been set for “the gradual transfer of tasks from MONUSCO to Congolese government,” Lutundula added.
The MONUSCO force arrived in Congo in 2010 after taking over from an earlier U.N. peacekeeping mission to protect civilians and humanitarian personnel and to support the Congolese government in its stabilization and peace consolidation efforts.
However, frustrated Congolese say that no one is protecting them from rebel attacks, leading to protests against the U.N. mission and others that have at times turned deadly.
Over the years of its existence, eastern Congo continues to be ravaged by more than 120 armed groups seeking a share of the region’s resources such as gold and trying to protect their communities, some of them quietly backed by Congo’s neighbors. The violence is occasioned by rampant mass killings and has displaced nearly 7 million people.
The Congolese government — which has just been reelected in a disputed vote — requested the U.N. mission to leave the country after claiming the security collaboration “has proved its limits in a context of permanent war, without the longed-for peace being restored to eastern Congo.” The government has also directed an East African regional force, deployed last year to help end the fighting, to leave the country for similar reasons.
veryGood! (76979)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Did the moose have to die? Dog-sledding risk comes to light after musher's act of self-defense
- Oklahoma panel denies clemency for death row inmate, paves way for lethal injection
- Gal Gadot Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby No. 4 With Husband Jaron Varsano
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Princess Kate spotted in public for first time since abdominal surgery
- Caitlin Clark's potential WNBA contract might come as a surprise, and not a positive one
- Kentucky GOP lawmakers override governor and undo efforts to prevent renter discrimination
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- NY man who killed Kaylin Gillis after wrong turn in driveway sentenced to 25 years to life
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- United flight forced to return to Houston airport after engine catches fire shortly after takeoff
- Hoda Kotb Shares Daughter Hope Is Braver Than She Imagined After Medical Scare
- TJ Maxx's Designer Bag Deals Are Fashion's Best-Kept Secret For Scoring Luxury Bags for Less
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Say cheese! Hidden Valley Ranch, Cheez-It join forces to create Cheezy Ranch
- Patrick Mahomes' Wife Brittany Mahomes Fractures Her Back Amid Pelvic Floor Concerns
- Betty Ford forever postage stamp is unveiled at the White House
Recommendation
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
See Anne Hathaway and Nicholas Galitzine's steamy romance in trailer for 'The Idea of You'
Caucus chaos makes Utah last state to report Super Tuesday results
Massachusetts debates how long homeless people can stay in shelters
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Lance Bass on aging, fatherhood: 'I need to stop pretending I'm 21'
Senate committee advances bill to create a new commission to review Kentucky’s energy needs
3 sizzling hot ETFs that will keep igniting the market